Thursday, September 9, 2021

Tashlich, 2021

 Tashlich is the ceremony for symbolically letting go of our sins of the past year.

This poem is a reflection on Tashlich:


Tashlich

 

It’s easier to throw

Than to really let go

 

Crumbs and pebbles sail and sink

What we want to cleanse in our souls, though

Weighs heavy

Concrete blocks bound to our feet

Head too heavy for the neck to hold it up

Shoulders burdened by an invisible yoke

 

And as the crumbs

Drift away

There is a mental switch

The bread should stay on shore

And be the base for something delicious

And nourishing

 

It’s me should be in the water

Drifting

Floating

For a few moments, the water’s hands

Carrying the weight for me

Beginning to dissolve the thickness

The agglutination of all my wrongdoings, and wishi’ddones,

My It’snotformetodos, my conventientlyoverlookeds,

And my Itookthemforgrantedagains…

 

It’s so much easier to throw

Than to really let go

 

No comments:

Post a Comment